27 June 2006

Internally Displaced New Orleanians Fight Ray Nagin's Campaign of Genocide

Ongoing developments continue to unfold concerning Uncle Sam's ongoing Race War in the Gulf Coast.

Writing in the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Bruce Eggler reports on the effort by local officials in New Orleans to enforce a selective set of laws that will ethnically cleanse New Orleans of its Black Population. Eggler writes:
Don't necessarily look for the city to start seizing and gutting droves of mold-infested homes when a deadline for owners to clean them expires at the end of August...

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said Monday that the city is likely to face court challenges when it tries to gain access to the properties...

The New Orleans City Council passed a law in April setting a deadline of Aug. 29, the first anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, for homeowners to clean, gut and board up flooded homes or risk having the city seize and clean or even demolish them.

The ordinance setting the Aug. 29 deadline was approved 7-0 by the council.

While New Orleans's city council and Uncle Sam's 'laws' may favor ethnic cleansing of New Orleans, Mayor Nagin knows that the strong, united population of Black New Orleans plans to resist his campain to expel the them from their homes.

That's why Nagin is bracing for an assault on the very people of New Orleans he claims so loudly to represent. The piece continues:
Based on the city's experience early this year in trying to demolish some of the most severely damaged houses in the Lower 9th Ward and other hard-hit neighborhoods, Nagin said, he anticipates a flood of lawsuits from homeowners and activist groups when the city starts trying to enforce the Aug. 29 deadline.

The city announced plans in December to demolish buildings in the most flood-ravaged neighborhoods that had been pushed off their foundations and were blocking rights of way and otherwise impeding recovery efforts, but a lawsuit filed by homeowners and activists halted work until March.

Residents in the Lower 9th Ward accused the city of failing to provide fair notice before sending in the wrecking crews. The city settled the lawsuit and agreed to a list of rules for notification that included publishing legal notices in The Times-Picayune and on the city's Web site.
The storied resistance of New Orleans' Black community continues to confound Nagin and the rest of the would-be genociders so eager to ethnically cleanse New Orleans and gentrify it as they have so many other cities on Sam's Plantation.

Instead of justice, the internally displaced victims of the huricane and Uncle Sam's subsequent race war have suffered indignity after indignity. They are vilified for 'defrauding' the government when the government, in fact, used the disaster as a pretext to dole out corporate welfare to expoliters and profiteers - a $7,900,000 renovation of a deserted Army base in Alabama or "$860 million worth of [mobile homes] at an airfield in Arkansas, where FEMA is paying $250,000 a month to store them."

It is a testament to their strength and capacity to struggle that the oppressed, internally displaced residents of New Orleans continue to fight the relentless campaign underway at every level of government to steal their land and make them disappear.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home